Tooth Whitening and BleachingThe active ingredient in the bleaching gel is a time-release form of peroxide, an enamel-safe ingredient used for tooth whitening. The custom fitted bleaching tray allows close contact of the whitening gel with the teeth to get at stains beneath the surface. Generally, you can expect a two to three shade change in the whiteness of your teeth. The bleaching gel will not whiten crowns, veneers or fillings. Final results vary from patient to patient depending on tooth structure, stain severity and eating and drinking habits. If your teeth have mineral stain, antibiotic stain or white spots, your bleaching may whiten some of these areas more than others. Do not have any bonding done on your teeth until 10 days after you finish bleaching.
Results typically last one to three years before any noticeable relapse in shade occurs. Your habits and oral hygiene will affect your results. Teeth will restain faster after whitening if exposed to substances such as tobacco, coffee, tea dark colas and red wine. It is not recommended that you bleach your teeth while pregnant or nursing.
Home Bleaching Procedures
- Brush your teeth gently and rinse.
- Apply a thin line of bleaching gel in the deepest part of your custom tray. Do not get gel material in your eyes or on fabrics. Keep bleaching gel out of the reach of young children.
- Insert the tray in your mouth and wipe away the excess gel at the gum line with a tissue. With practice, you will use very little excess gel.
- Wear for approximately 45 minutes once or twice per day. Do not eat, drink, smoke or grind your teeth while wearing the bleaching tray.
- Remove the bleaching tray and rinse, wipe or brush away any remaining gel from your teeth and mouth. Thoroughly rinse the tray with warm water and a toothbrush. Allow it to air dry before storing it in the tray case. Do not expose the bleaching tray to extreme heat.
- Store the tube of whitening gel at room temperature until your treatment is complete. Then, you may store unused bleaching gel in the refrigerator to prolong its shelf life. Keep your trays for future use.
Your teeth and gums may become temporarily sensitive during the bleaching process. This sensitivity is common and will go away if you stop bleaching for a day or two.
- If significant tooth sensitivity develops, reduce tray wearing time to once per day.
- If sensitivity continues, stop bleaching for 1-2 days, then resume bleaching one time per day.
- If significant tooth sensitivity develops again, stop bleaching and call your dentist.
- Gum sensitivity can be reduced by applying petroleum jelly on your gums with a Q-tip prior to inserting your bleaching tray.
- You may skip days as needed.
We demonstrate our practice's commitment to providing our patients with the highest quality dental care and service by our actions, not our words.